Sunday, November 4

Upcoming guide (11/5 - 11/12)

Surfs up DUDE!
Another week gone by, another Michigan State Spartan loss. As an avid Detroit sports fan, I am proud to say all of the current sports teams are doing well (except for the Spartans). The Lions are 5-2 going into today, the Red Wings are 11-2, and the Tigers just picked up Renteria at shortstop! Because of the fine play (and off season pickups) of the sports teams, this next week should get into some of the finer software available on Linux.
  • Beryl - Beryl is a Windows-aero esque application for viewing desktop items in 3D. You can do all of your favorite things such as spinning around through Windows to cool drag and drop effects. I am going to compile from source and grab a Debian package and see if there is a difference in speed.
  • Civilization 4 - I have read that the early versions of this game do not run on Wine while the newer patched versions do. I'm going to take a stab at both and see what I can come up with. If you can't wait, you can always visit the Wine App Database and try for yourself.
  • Ad Hoc Networking - This week I will also attempt to take a stab at doing some ad hoc networking between two laptops. Because this can be intensive and problematic to setup, the final tutorial may end up carrying over to next week.

1 comment:

Joe said...

I'm currently running Arch Linux x86_64 on my vostro 1500. Do you have scrolling on the touchpad working? If so, what did you do to get it working?

Thanks,
Joe